Video files are generally quite large and will eat up a ton of bandwidth. This can slow down the load time of your website and cause your visitors to wait while the video downloads or streams to their computers. To avoid that, many people host their videos elsewhere. The two most popular video hosting platforms are YouTube and Vimeo. This post outlines the steps to upload your video to YouTube and place that link on your WordPress website.
Hosting videos on your own YouTube channel is free and easy – all you need is your Google login. Here are some stats as found on YouTube.com:
- More than 1 billion unique users visit YouTube each month
- Over 6 billion hours of video are watched each month on YouTube – that’s almost an hour for every person on Earth
- 100 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube every minute
- 80% of YouTube traffic comes from outside the US
- YouTube is localized in 61 countries and across 61 languages
- According to Nielsen ratings, YouTube reaches more US adults aged 18-34 than any cable network
YouTube is one of the most visited sites on the web and the #1 video hosting site when it comes to traffic. YouTube is also owned by Google and it certainly wouldn’t hurt to have your video content indexed by the largest search engine in the world.
Upload your video to YouTube
- Go to YouTube.com and click “Sign In”
- You will be directed to a Google sign in page
- Sign in with your Google login (Google owns YouTube)
- Open your Channel (screenshot)
- Navigate to your videos (screenshot)
- You will be directed to “Upload a Video”
- Here are some general uploading tips:
- Keep the length to 15 minutes or less
- Upload a video in one of the following formats:
.MOV, .MPEG4, .MP4, .AVI, .WMV, .MPEGPS, .FLV, .3GPP, .WebM
- Need additional help? Check out these YouTube upload instructions.
Place the video on your WordPress website
Copy the embed code from YouTube
Navigate to your YouTube Video page
Select the video you want to embed into your site.
Follow these four steps (see screenshot below):
- Click “Share”
- Then click “Embed”
- Select your video size. Unless your webpage is huge, don’t select a size larger than 640px x 480px
- Copy the code that is highlighted in blue
Now you are ready to place the code on your web page!
Paste the emcode on your webpage
- Open/Edit your WordPress page and click the “Text” tab on the right (see screenshot below)
This view will also show you any HTML on your web page.
- Place your cursor where you would like the video to appear.
- Paste the code into the content area.
- Don’t forget to hit the “Save” or “Publish” button